I initially bought the GoToob when I started going zero waste. The idea was to make my homemade toothpaste squeezable and similar to a regular toothpaste. Well, that didn’t work out. The temperature at home was never warm enough and the toothpaste was only squeezable for a day and it would harden completely. Eventually, I eliminated coconut oil from my home and I’ve now converted to tooth powder.
I can’t get rid of it because it’s made of silicon which is not recyclable. So, I’ve decided to reuse it. I initially used it to store my moisturizer for when I travel. Well, that didn’t work out because the moisturizer eventually dried out because of the porousness of silicone.
Here is a list of items humangear recommends against using in the GoToobs:
- Alcohols (Note: Alcohols may be present in many cosmetic products, including make-up remover, mouth wash, astringent, hair serum, aftershave, and insect repellent).
- Salicylic Acid (most often used in acne treatments).
- Hair serums and treatments (detanglers, relaxers, volumizers, polishers, smoothers, shine serums, etc.) including shampoos and conditioners designed to add shine or luster to hair as well as products with Argan Oil (like Moroccan hair oil).
- Silicone-based lubricants.
- DEET-based insect repellents.
- Hydrogen Peroxide.
- Sterile products. Note: Even though sterile products may be fully compatible with silicone, GoToobs are not sterilized. Therefore, we don’t recommend GoToobs for use with fluids where sterilization may be an issue, such as contact lens solution. This includes liquid or semi-liquid prescription medications.
- Caustic, corrosive, or flammable products. Note: Many household chemicals are sold in specifically designed plastic or glass containers specified by the manufacturer and should never be decanted. GoToobs were designed for personal care or food items you may need while traveling–not bleach, drain cleaner, fire-starters, or hydrochloric acid.
Currently, I use my GoToob to store olive oil which I use as a moisturizer after my shower. Maybe I can also use it to store salad dressing.
The lesson here is that if you are interested in going zero waste, don’t buy everything immediately. The essential items are bags for groceries and jars. I should not have bought the GoToob. Good thing it was on clearance when I got it.